- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: Vancouver, Canada
- Python & Django
- Ruby on Rails
- Developer documentation
- MySQL & PostgreSQL
- Docker, docker-compose
- HTML & CSS
Senior Software Development Engineer
July 2019-May 2022
- Wrote, tested, and reviewed Ruby on Rails code across two codebases using both MySQL and PostgreSQL databases,
focusing on database performance.
- Main contributor to upgrading authorization libraries, including finding and fixing security bugs.
- Regularly presented on technical topics, such as ongoing database changes, and git usage & best practices.
- Investigated performance impacts of a major database change and implemented a solution, reducing both memory usage
- 30% and support requests related to web request timeouts.
- Did regular rotations on support escalations, troubleshooting where the problem was and fixing it for that
customer or addressing the root cause, if possible.
- Improved developer experience by scripting development environment setup, improving test coverage, fixing flakey
tests & warnings, and writing technical documentation.
- Onboarded junior developers about our development process, answered questions, and paired.
- Promoted transparent developer culture and public technical discussions that everyone could learn from, shared
- Self-organized working on urgent projects during extended management turnover.
- Skills: Ruby, Rails, rspec, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Docker, docker-compose, git
July 2018-April 2019
- Backend software developer creating asynchronous APIs for frontend and mobile teams.
- Wrote & expanded new async Python 3 microservices as part of a project to switch from PHP monolith. Contributed to
best practices and shared templates for microservices.
- Led collaboration with other teams to confirm API design before starting implementation.
- Clarified and expanded out-of-date developer documentation.
- Team expert in Python & git, presented git tutorial and organized lunch & learns.
- Skills: Python 3, aiohttp, Docker, docker-compose, git, py.test
Lead Archivematica Developer
May 2013-March 2017
- Designed and implemented customer-driven features in a small team for an open source digital preservation tool in
- Advocated for technical and process improvements, including code review, automated testing, upgrading core
frameworks and replacing deprecated dependencies.
- Documented technical architecture, helped with user docs, and answered community questions.
- Skills: Python 2, Django, git, py.test, HTML & CSS, AngularJS
B.Sc. in Computing Science
Simon Fraser University
- Can I Use that Code? (Conference talk, Slides) Overview of software licences, covering different categories of licences, details of common open-source licences, and how they interact in the same codebase.
- Intermediate Git Tutorial (Workshop, Slides) Workshop on using git with other people. Covered forking & pull requests on Github, git remotes, merging & rebasing. Co-created & co-presented.
- vcr.py (Lightning talk, Slides) An introduction to vcr.py, a python mocking library for HTTP requests that auto-generates fixtures from live data.
- Python Implementations (Lightning talk, Slides) An introduction to the different common implementations of Python: CPython, Pypy, Cython, Jython, IronPython.